- This event has passed.
NEW 6-Week Advanced Seminar and Consultation on the Traumatic Experience of Love
Thursday, January 20, 2022, 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 5:00 pm on Thursday, repeating until Thursday, February 17, 2022
Due to health and safety precautions with Covid-19, this 6-week series will be virtual.
Narratives and blueprints about love and relationships live in the bodies and psyches of our clients. Most often, they will show us these stories rather than tell us. The therapist becomes both witness and midwife, helping to give birth and transform these trauma-based narratives
In this six-week virtual training and consultation, we will explore the underlying ideas that are the foundation for understanding the traumatic experience of love and the implications for treatment.
Through teaching, discussion, and case consultation, we will unpack the impact of traumatic experiences of love. We will understand the dynamics of reenactments and re-victimization, as well as explore how repair can occur within the therapeutic relationships.
Space is limited.
Requirements for Participants:
- Be actively engaged in an ongoing therapeutic relationship with clients who have experienced childhood trauma.
- Read Baffled by Love: Stories of the Lasting Impact of Childhood Trauma Inflicted by Loved Ones.
- Be willing to present a case for discussion and reflect on other’s case presentations as well.
- Develop a deeper practice around assessing how their clients’ early experiences of love inform what they understand about relationships.
- Improve their understanding of how past injuries of love get repeated in their client’s current relationships and in the treatment room.
- Increase their familiarity and comfort with repair and mutuality in the treatment relationship as a pivotal aspect of client healing.
You will receive a zoom link and an outline one day prior to the workshop date.
There are limited spots still available for this workshop.
6 Thursdays, January 13 – February 17 (5:00 pm – 6:30 pm)
Program Fee: $315 for the entire 6 sessions.
Restorative Justice Discount for BIPOCs: $255 for the entire 6 sessions.
Fee includes 9 CEUs.
Womencare is authorized by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Services to issue CEUs to LSWs/LCSWs, LPCs/LCPCs, LMFTs, PhDs and PsyDs.
Facilitated by Laurie Kahn, LCPC
Laurie Kahn, MA, MFA, LCPC is the founder and director of Womencare Counseling & Training Center and is a pioneer in the field of trauma treatment. Laurie has encouraged and fostered trauma informed work through the development of on-going training programs, providing professional workshops at international and local conferences and mentoring individual clinicians. Her most salient contribution to the field is the concept of child abuse as specifically a traumatic experience of love. Baffled by Love is where “Laurie the therapist” and “Laurie the writer” found each other. Read more.
If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute or request a refund. All refund requests must be made in writing at least one week prior to the event and are subject to an administrative charge of $30. Alternatively, you may transfer your full registration fee to a future workshop without penalty. Cancellation and transfer requests made less than one week prior to event will not be honored and registration fee will be forfeited. Requests must be emailed to [email protected] and will not be accepted by phone.